top of page


Read more here.

Rural Municipality of Vanscoy

Planning & Development



For all projects involving structural construction, demolition, renovation, addition, alteration, or change of use (such as home-based or farm businesses), obtaining the necessary permits is crucial.


These permits are essential to ensure full compliance with the Zoning and Building Bylaws, the Official Community Plan, and other pertinent regulations.

Development Permit


This permit ensures adherence to the Zoning Bylaw and Official Community Plan for all development and land use within the municipality. 

You can find the Development Permit application here. If applicable, a Discretionary Use Application may also be required.

Building/Demolition Permit


This permit is separate from the Development Permit and is essential for new construction, alterations, and reconstruction, guaranteeing compliance with Building Bylaws. You can find the Building Permit application here.

Specific worksheets, including those for Mobile Homes, Detached Garages, Decks, Attached Garages, and Insulation, can be found here.

No building permits for dwellings will be issued until such time that the applicant has supplied a valid septic system permit as well as include the Energy Compliance Forms (see below) with their Building permit application. Please include your email address with your application.

Please anticipate a processing time of 4-6 weeks for the issuance of Building and Development Permits.


To prevent any potential delays, we strongly recommend submitting all required documentation along with your application.

If you would like to confirm the requirements for a specific development or use, please contact the RM Planning Department.

Other Important Information

Septic/Sewage Permit: This permit is obligatory for establishing, constructing, extending, renovating, altering, or repairing a plumbing system or private sewage works. Additionally, it's needed for connecting a plumbing system to communal sewage works or communal waterworks. Please apply through the Saskatchewan Health Authority.

Energy Compliance Information Sheet: Please ensure you are aware of the proposed occupancy classification as this will determine what forms are required to be submitted with the Development and Building Permit Application forms.

For simplicity, all residential development will potentially require Form C1 to be provided, while all commercial and/or industrial development is required to have a designer determine and demonstrate compliance.

Additional NECB compliance information can be found here.

Construction Codes Advisory

Our advisory emphasizes the construction of secure, healthy, and habitable structures. You can read more about it here.

Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm Installation Requirements

On January 1, 2022, the Construction Codes Act and Building Code Regulations came into effect in Saskatchewan replacing the Uniform Building and Accessibility Standards Act and Regulations. The Building Code Regulations has the following requirements that will come into force on July 1, 2022. Download PDF for information.

Approach Application (if applicable)

Request for approval to construct and maintain an approach within the Municipality’s right-of-way. You can find the application form here.

Development Appeals Board:

Jack Morris (Secretary), David Luczka and Orest Michalowski

Planning & Development Forms

Development Permit

Building Permit

Discretionary Use Application

Business Tax Incentive Application (Bylaw 17-2022)

Rezoning Application

Approach Application

Minor Variance Application


Should you seek to alter a parcel's designated Zoning District to accommodate a proposed development or use, you will need to initiate the Rezoning Process by amending the RM's Zoning Bylaw. You can find the Rezoning Application here.

The following is an overview of the Rezoning Process:

*Please anticipate a processing time of a minimum 3 months for rezoning applications.


For subdivision requests, the Province of Saskatchewan is the authority for approval. The Community Planning (CP) Branch of the Saskatchewan Ministry of Government Relations meticulously reviews all subdivision applications.

The following is an overview of the Subdivision Process:


Other Subdivision resources:

Step-by-Step Guide to Subdivision (Updated March 2015)

Completing Subdivision Applications (Updated March 2015)Application to Subdivide Land Interactive (Updated March 2015)

Business Development Incentives

The RM Council works with new business development projects on a case-by-case basis.


The provided details are intended solely for informative purposes. For more comprehensive information, we encourage you to reach out to the RM Planning Department: 306-668-2060.

bottom of page