top of page

Rural Municipality of Vanscoy


Who Is Eligible to Vote in a Rural Municipality?

In a Rural Municipality, to be eligible to vote in a municipal election a voter must:

  • Be at least 18 years of age

  • Be a Canadian Citizen

  • Meet One of the Following Criteria:

  • A resident of the the Rural Municipality you are voting in for at least three consecutive months immediately preceding the day of election.

If you are not a resident within the RM, you are eligible to vote if you are:

  • The registered owner (or purchaser under a bona fide agreement for sale) of land within the rural municipality;

  • Assessed with respect to land in the rural municipality under a lease, license, permit, or contract in agreement with the registered owner;

  • Assessed with respect to an improvement within the rural municipality;

  • A spouse of a person mentioned in any of the above;

  • The Chief Executive Officer of a duly incorporated corporation, co-operative, or religious association that is assessed property in the municipality.

When Voting for Division Councilors, residents of the RM vote in the Division in which they reside, regardless of how many divisions they own land in. If you own assessed property in more than one Division, but do not live within the RM, you are eligible to vote in the division where you have the highest total of assessed land. Voters may only vote once in a municipality, but a person who is eligible to vote in more than one municipality may do so. (Landowners who own land in a personal name as well as corporation name can only vote once). Please contact the municipal office with any questions regarding voter eligibility

bottom of page